New challenges in the cloud

The time has come to start a new part of my worklife! I am leaving Basefarm and the Lead Architect role I had there for a new job as a Chief Cloud Architect at Evry.

During my time at Basefarm I have been working intensively with Azure Stack and Azure offerings as well as on-premise solutions. Basefarm was one of the Azure Stack early adopters and the learnings within this journey have been challenging and interesting both based on the appliance and also the organisational adoption.

My key areas as a Chief Cloud Architect will be on public cloud solutions and helping my team at Evry and the customers be successful in the transformation to the public cloud.

I will be focusing on amazing solutions based on Azure and Azure Stack but I will also work on AWS and Google Cloud solutions.

I will have the great pleasure to work with Marius Sandbu that is also a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional.

Bin file left on Hyper-V VM

We have an upgraded Hyper-V cluster from 2012 R2 to 2016 and I wanted to make some more space on the volume that it resides on so I started looking on the settings of the VMs. As I concluded in another blog post there can be a discussion about if we really need the setting of “Save VM state” for the VM´s in a Hyper-V cluster. It is viable to have this setting on VM´s that reside on a standalone host and if doing maintenance it saves the state of the VM during host reboot.

So what is the thing here, well some of the VM´s in this cluster have got their VM version upgraded to 8.0 but some was still on 5.0. If i just check on the SC VMM I could find the VM´s configured with “Save VM” and amount of storage that they consume.

But when checking the storage where the VM reside I noticed that the value above did not match the size. With the following PowerShell I check for the files that have the ending of .bin (2012 r2 and older format) and also .vmrs (that is the 2016+ format)

Apparently some of the VM´s that have been upgraded from 5.0 have their bin file still in the subfolder.

To fix this I did a report of the files and then a delete, as the file is not in use in a 8.0 VM I could do it when it was online

Running the following on your VM´s disable the “SaveVM” and if you then upgrade to VM version 8.0 after that you will not get a duplicate issue 🙂

Happy HyperVing out there