I was working with a customer yesterday and trying out bare-metal deploy of a Image for their Hyper-V servers, and in this case a brand new Dell R730 with nice specs 🙂
During the deployment we got some errors that we had to handle and I wanted to highlight them so that you can handle them if they appear in your environment one day!
First of we had some issues to enable the NIC to respond to PXE but that had more to do with where to find stuff in the bios and iDRAC settings 😉
But once that was fixed we got the following error and I have already mentioned that in a blog post earlier.
So trying to update the WinPE image got us into some more trouble, as you can see on the following screen dump. This was a new one that I have not seen before, checking the folders I could not find any strange things but…
I tested to restart the VMM service just in case and the same error appeared and thus I thought that it might go away if I remove and add the PXE server again and yes that worked!
And after this we were able to deploy a physical servers as a Hyper-V host!