I found a blog post about the 5Nine Manager for Hyper-V, the cool part about this tool is that it can be run on the Server Core installation and provide a GUI for management of the Hyper-V role and the virtual machines. If for example your host has problems and has network connectivity issues this tool can be handy and use to for example check the eventlog on the core server. It is developed on the Hyper-V public API´s and coded in .Net. The best part is that it is free, there is a 99 $ licensed edition where you also in Core can access the virtual machines console and configure hyper-v networking, but the free version is enough when in troubleshooting a failing host.
Features and Benefits:
- Hyper-V Management – 5nine Manager for Hyper-V allows managing virtual machines, virtual hard disks and networks on both local and remote Hyper-V servers. Use 5nine Manager for Hyper-V to manage Hyper-V on Windows 2008 R2 core and Hyper-V Sever installations without resorting to remote management via the Microsoft Hyper-V Manager or Virtual Machine Manager Server. 5nine Manager for Hyper-V can also be used to administer Hyper-V R2 hosts joined to a domain that is managed by a guest operating system, thus overcoming cyclic dependency issues.
- Network Management – 5nine Manager for Hyper-V provides comprehensive virtual network management as well as the management of virtual connections and bindings. Use 5nine Manager for Hyper-V to troubleshoot and fix network connections and related problems that cannot be fixed via remote management. 5nine Manager for Hyper-V Virtual Network Manager also allows reviewing and editing virtual network ports used by the virtual network interfaces and guests.
- Secure your Hyper-V Hosts – 5nine Manager for Hyper-V does not extend a potential attack surface on managed Hyper-V servers and does not install or require any additional components.
- Simple and Easy to Use – 5nine Manager for Hyper-V offers a simple and easy to use User Interface that is familiar to most of Windows 2008 Server users. In addition to this, 5nine Manager for Hyper-V further simplifies the administration tasks on Windows 2008 core installations and Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 by providing a Graphical User Interface for file system views and operations.
- Maximize Host Performance – 5nine Manager for Hyper-V has a small memory footprint and does not consume any resources on managed Hyper-V servers when it is not running.
- Follow Best Practices – 5nine Manager for Hyper-V is a valuable tool for managing the virtualization stack on production environments that are utilizing Windows 2008 R2 Server core installations according to Microsoft Best Practices as well as the Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2.